[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Quick tip for those taking Co-codamol or Paracetamol

Quick tip for those taking Co-codamol or Paracetamol

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Quick tip for those taking Co-codamol or Paracetamol

Postby Corinne » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:25 pm

I find that the soluble co-codamol & soluble paracetamol are much more effective than tablets.

I can hardly tell if I've taken tablets- but if I take the soluble version of either, I will feel "better" within half an hour. Of course it doesn't get rid of the pain- but it certainly eases.

I know its partly because it is absorbed quicker- but I also suspect that my digestive system doesn't process the tablets as well- so the soluble guarantees I get the full effect.

It might not help everyone- and they taste foul!- but I thought I'd mention it as it makes such a HUGE difference to me.

You can buy soluble paracetamol & the soluble 8/500 co-codamol or you can ask your GP if you are on a higher dose.

Just thought I'd mention it- incase it helps someone!
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Corinne
UKFM Member

Postby Ivyleaf » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:31 pm

Thanks hun - and yes you're right. Tablets sit in the stomach for up to an hour and disolve slowly whereas the 'effervescent' variety simply need to be 'absorbed' and not 'broken down' first.

I switched over to effervescent and they are kinder to the stomach and work much quicker.
Ivyleaf

Postby sunnydee » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:24 pm

Hiya,

I agree too. My GP puts my on prescription, but my Mum who goes to the same surgery (but a different Dr) was told that souble are more expensive than tablets, so she has to have tablets....I've told her to try my Dr. There definately is a difference.

x
sunnydee
UKFM Member

Postby velvet » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:31 pm

i will talk to my doctor on thursday
NEW
velvet
UKFM Regular

Postby Graham » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:31 am

I take the Boots brand paracetamol and codeine combination caplets, I find them very good, not sure you can get them in soluble form though, I'll look next time I go.
Graham
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:00 pm

I find the same thing. :)
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby auroura » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:07 pm

Brilliant tip, thank you very much, taking 8 co codamol a day, so i think i might ask if i can have soluable.
Sharon

Bad is never good until worse happens
auroura
UKFM Member

Postby velvet » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:22 pm

had a look in the pharamcy today - couldnt believe the difference in price between tablets and soluble :shock:

i will definately see if my doctor will prescribe :roll:
NEW
velvet
UKFM Regular

Re: Quick tip for those taking Co-codamol or Paracetamol

Postby shrimp » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:00 pm

i was told over the weekend that soluble work faster - i take upto 8 cocodamol 30/500 strength for endometiosis and also upto 10 diclofenic with an omeprazole to line the stomach - also was told tablet form maybe restricted to getting thru due to the omeprazole so definatly gonna see my doc about soluble...

shrimp xxx
I like to make people laugh xxx
shrimp
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:45 pm

gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby velvet » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:45 pm

so let me see - taking large numbers of painkillers has an adverse effect on the stomach - so the doctor gives us a different medicine to support the stomach - which reduces the effectiveness of the painkillers :roll:
NEW
velvet
UKFM Regular

Return to Help / Tips on Coping