Depressed because of pain not pain because depressed!!

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Depressed because of pain not pain because depressed!!

Postby kp nuts » Thu May 07, 2009 11:48 am

Just putting the pieces together and talking out loud here peeps!
Frrl free to reply if you know what I'm on about.. :?
I have just realised that the 'depression' I've been suffering on/off for 12 years is a symptom of the fibro, its not the other way about!!
Any time Ive been bad with the depression its been because I just dont feel well, so tired, so sore and just not right like Ive got a permanent head cold & flu! I always thought the physical things were a result of the depression but finally see thats not the case!
This last flare up of pain, lack of sleep, total lack of energy has not been accompanied by depression...as yet! I said to the doctor Im not depressed, I know what that feels like but my body feels depressed! Its finally starting to make sense!
The 2 things are linked but not in the way I thought!
Take it easy!xx
kp nuts
UKFM Member

Re: Depressed because of pain not pain because depressed!!

Postby freckles » Thu May 07, 2009 4:23 pm

i definitely agree with you,the constant pain and feeling unwell causes the depression.I have come to this conclusion because there has been incidents in my life which have caused depression but at those times i was not always in constant pain.
freckles
UKFM Member

Postby motherelephant » Thu May 07, 2009 4:32 pm

At the pain clinic I go to they recognise that depression is caused by the constant pain.then there is the isolation ,for those who cannot get out.Itsthe ignorant medics that say its the other way around.Motherelle.x :banghead:
Like sunshine in the morning, may this brighten up your day and show you that you're thought of in a warm and loving way.
motherelephant
UKFM Regular

Postby princess » Thu May 07, 2009 7:38 pm

Yes exactly its not the depression that causes the pain - its the pain that causes the drpession thank goodness folk are getting it.
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby shrimp » Fri May 08, 2009 11:02 pm

yep i get depressed because i am in pain all the time............only actually realised it few months ago when i was trying to work out why i felt depressed - apart from having severe endo and fibro i didnt actually have anything else to worry about - then realised it was cos of the pain and the lack of things i can do.......i am pain depressed...not clinically depressed....

shrimp xx
I like to make people laugh xxx
shrimp
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems