[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Can anyone help?

Can anyone help?

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Can anyone help?

Postby nikib » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:24 pm

Hi anyone,

My husband has just been diagnosed as having fibromyalgia and is being treated by Professor John Davies. Has anyone one here seen him, we have only seen him twice and he has perscribed my husband with climazapan, pain killers and myers injections. Any feedback would be gratefully received.

nikib
UKFM Newbie

Re: Can anyone help?

Postby *Lisa* » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:53 pm

HI :welcome:

I have been seen by him...

I also got the same, clonzapam/acupan? & myers injection.... this seems to be a commen treament to start off with.

My experience was NOT positive

I have spoken to alot of sufferers who have seen the prof, some have had good experiences some bad.

How did you get on, how do you fnd him?
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby nikib » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:33 pm

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for your reply. We have only had two vists with the Dr so i am till unsure. Is this the only real treatment for Fibro. my husband is in extreme pain, can't sleep, forgets so much - has problems with the weather, rain etc and is permanently exhausted. He is also really low, and I am not sure what to do. He has had two of these injections, the clonazapam for nearly two weeks and the pain killers knock him out. I just feel really frustrated... Are you still seeing the Dr or do you see someone else now?

Thanks - and sorry for bombarding you, its so nice to talk to someone :shock:
nikib
UKFM Newbie

Postby gillshutt » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:42 pm

HI, if you have a look at the treatments board you will see that there are a lot of different drugs people take for FM and that what works for one doesn't always work for another. It's trial and error I'm afraid :(
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby *Lisa* » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:51 pm

HI

Have a look at this website, very good for info

http://www.fibromyalgia-symptoms.org/fi ... tions.html

There are lots of things that can help but as gill says its all trial & error, whats good for one may not be good for the other :dunno:

A mixture of a good diet/slight exercise/therapies & medication is a good combination IMO

An idea is to do a topic as ask members how they control/help there FM... what do they take/do to help :wink:

As gill also said, have a look through our treatment/medication boards

There is so much more out there, what the professor does is NOT the only help :hugs:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby shazq » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:47 pm

Sorry to hear your hubby has fibro.
We have a few guys on here, so if he wants to join up and chat to others that might be of help to him.
We are like a big family on here, everyone is very friendly, and you will always get your questions answered.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby nikib » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:43 am

Thanks everyone for your feedback, I am trying to get my hubby to come on the site - but like any guy he is typically in denial at the moment. :( Anyway if he won't I will I am just trying to find out as much information as possible. Any ideas how we can get our GP on our side, he dosen't recognise this condition and he thinks it is stress and depression even though this professor has made an official diagnosis - nightmare :( Any ideas would be great :needhug:

xx
nikib
UKFM Newbie

Postby DerekJ » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:38 pm

Hi,
I've had this disease all my life but it got really nasty about 10 years ago when its creeping and insidious progress seemed to accelerate and turned me from a fit athlete into someone who needed a wheelchair at times to cope. I have never seen a list of symptoms, however long, where I cannot tick practically all of them.

Nowadays, it's even more painful and much harder to cope with. That's the bad news. The good news is that it is possible to live a fulfilling and happy life, although anyone stricken with this dreadful disease may have difficulty believing that in their early years of suffering.

Like many others, I was forced to make major changes to my life. I cannot (and now would not want to) hold down a full-time job, so I work part-time from home when and how often I choose. I can no longer do the sports I loved, so I added new interests and made many new friends in the process. I was very concerned about the changes to my memory and although I can still stare into the fridge and wonder what I'm there for, this has not prevented me from acquiring fluency in three foreign languages throughout the last six years.

I'm very lucky to have an extremely supportive wife. Sadly, another asset I have is that my brother also has the disease, but to a lesser degree, so we can grumble to each other when it's difficult for others to understand what we're talking about.

I guess what I really want to say is that life can be enjoyed, even with fibromyalgia; but adjustments will have to be made, both mental and physical.

My best wishes to your husband.
DerekJ
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:11 pm

Hi & :welcome: Derek
*Lisa*

Return to Doctors & Health Services