[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - A Warning On Private Therapists

A Warning On Private Therapists

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

A Warning On Private Therapists

Postby *Lisa* » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:16 pm

:wave:

I had to pay privatly for a CBT therapist a few years back when i was really ill with anxiety.

At this time, i was taken out of a big hole and praised the therapist & recommended CBT to everyone...

I had 12 sessions then regular boosters monthly decresing as time when on due to financial difficaulties.

I had to stop boosters a while back & i started to slip back no matter how much i self talked/went over notes i couldnt lift myself back up :dunno:

I got so bad again i was refered to Mental Health Team who assessed me and refered me to a NHS CBT therapist

I had my assessment yesterday and >>>> :shock:

Bad news was... she didnt know FM & believed pain & fatigue was all in ya head :evil: plus reeled off about anxiety comes from cave men :shock:

Long story but the point is, she said the private therapist hadnt picked up on the main issues, she went back to my childhood, he didnt.

Basicly it worked out that he had purposely left me dangling so i would end up going back and paying for a session......

Kept me needing him :evil: so he could have my money!!

I will take this further

So please be careful who you see

It was my GP that forwarded his name so i will write a note to him....
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Re: A Warning On Private Therapists

Postby anne1206 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:58 pm

Oh lisa, that was an awful thing to do to you, thats praying on the most vulnerable in society, ones like that are despicable, I know thats how they make their living, but its just not right :x
I do hope you get more from the CBT on the NHS., though it doesnt sound good when they dont even beleive in fibro.

sending you big gentle hugs

Anne :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :grouphug: :grouphug:
durate et vosmet rebus servate secundis///>Carry on and preserve yourselves for better times
anne1206
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:25 pm

Thank you anne...

I feel like giving up on help :roll: i am only awarded 3 sessions so will make the most of them

She is going to cover what was missed out.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby anne1206 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:36 pm

I really hope it helps you, I stopped going to a psychologist, because I always felt worse when I came out, he brought things to the forefront of my mind that I would rather remained hidden at the back, I couldnt see how what happened when I was under ten years old could affect me at 55 years old, as there has been lots of other S** since then.
That was just my own take on things, I do know that it benefits lots of others, I really hope you are one of them.

Anne :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :grouphug:
durate et vosmet rebus servate secundis///>Carry on and preserve yourselves for better times
anne1206
UKFM Member

Postby Fibrodee » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:47 pm

Lisa, that's terrible the way you have been treated. I do hope you gain something from theses next few sessions. Can I ask why you have only been offered three sessions, is it not something you can have long term? I have just had a psychological assessment and it's been recommended that I have weekly sessions for at least a year. They must think I am bonkers. You sound like you do need and want the help so why can't they help you more.

All the best with everything.
Dee.
Fibrodee
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:17 pm

Its run by the NHS so she said she only runs 6-8 sessions

She reackons anxiety u can cure by just a few cbt sessions....
So how come were not all cured :roll:

Says you do not need boosters as the techniques learned are with u for life.

I have had 2yrs cbt so know it all apart from the areas the private therapist missed out on so she thinks 3 is enough :dunno: i will be reviewed after as i had to do a tick list on how i felt

aparaently my private therapist should have given me papers of info etc... i got none
There was many other things he should have covered.

Mind you this NHS lady's attitide to pain & fatigue is its all in your head :shock:
Told me, i bet if your bed was burning u would be able to get out of it :yikes:

Reckoned my pain was anxiety symptoms even tho iv been diagnosed with fm 3 times :roll: ok i know symptoms overlap but FFS :roll:

So iv one of them types, the non believer :evil: but if shes willing to fill the missing pieces i'll have to ignore the attitude and get on with the stuff i need :roll:

What gets me is she doesnt have FM or anxiety so how can she sit there telling me what to do and patronize me when shes never walked a day in my shoes :dunno:

I suppose like my mum she feels i bum around wallowing :banghead:
Therapist said her mum had recently died and wasnt wallowing as life still goes on and laughed at me saying its all in the head so basicly stop all this i CANT and get a grip & do!

BUT people dont realise how much effort i DO put into helping myself

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
*Lisa*

Postby shazq » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:49 pm

Fingers crossed that the 3 sessions will help you Lisa. :hugs:

If you find it is not enough can you ask for some more sessions even if the therapists thinks you dont need them.?

Wish you all the best luck, that hopefully she will be able to help you and you feel better for it. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby miajane » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:25 pm

Hi Lisa,
Sorry to hear you had such an awful experience, this one doesn't sound much better if she doesn't believe what you are telling her.
Don't forget it's not your fault if she's still living in the dark ages. The info about fibro is there if she could be bothered to do her research.
Fibro is recognised as a chronic, delibitating condition by the NHS and the WHO. Your therapist has a duty to help you and do you no harm. If she doesn't take you seriously then she is not doing her duty on either count. Take her some print-outs next time, explaining what fibro is and that it is believed to be a neurological related condition and nothing to do with your state of mind.
I do hope the rest of your sessions help you but don't let her intimidate you.
Take care
Mia xx
'Needles on your nerve ends crawl like spiders on the skin' - Enemy within by Rush
miajane
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:52 pm

:evil: nasty man :evil: Sounds like a self taught idiot who thought it was an easy way to make money with no concern for the client.

Hope you now get some help ((xx))
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby motherelephant » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:58 pm

Wow Lisa sorry you are having it so tough .Dont give up surely there is someway someone out there can help.Sending you a big hug .Motherelle xxxx :hugs:
Like sunshine in the morning, may this brighten up your day and show you that you're thought of in a warm and loving way.
motherelephant
UKFM Regular

Postby Fibrodee » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:57 pm

Just to say hope all goes well in your next session and you can squeeze some more sessions out of her..Definately make the most of it. Wish you luck lisa. :hugs:

Dee
Fibrodee
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:45 am

Thank you i am with her thursday!!..
*Lisa*

Postby shazq » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:33 pm

Good luck for Thursday Lisa. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Return to Doctors & Health Services