[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - What percentage of the medical profession ...

What percentage of the medical profession ...

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

What percentage of the medical profession ...

Postby DaveD » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:27 pm

...... believe fibromyalgia actually exists ?

Seems terrible to me that one GP can be very understanding whilst another can think you are a lazy low life that they have just scraped from the sole of their shoes ! :evil: :evil: :evil:

atvb

Dave
You may only be someone in the world, but to someone else, you may be the world.
DaveD
UKFM Member

Re: What percentage of the medical profession ...

Postby velvet » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:12 pm

dont know about percentages but do know i am lucky to have an understanding supportive doctor.
NEW
velvet
UKFM Regular

Postby *Lisa* » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:36 pm

All i can say dave hunny babes is that your Avatar is what im gonna do to my therapist

pmsl.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby motherelephant » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:03 am

I doubt there is one person that hasn't had a bad experience with one doctor or another .You would think that with the amount of people suffering with Fibro that the penny would have dropped,or is that just too much to ask..Good posts Dave keep them coming.!!!!!! Motherelle :hugs:
Like sunshine in the morning, may this brighten up your day and show you that you're thought of in a warm and loving way.
motherelephant
UKFM Regular

Postby velvet » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:39 am

maybe it might be some sort of denial system developed by doctors - when you are a doctor people put their lives in your hands and treat you as godlike- when you run up against something you can do nothing about it can remind you all too much of your mortality which some may find uncomfortable so they deny the problem they cannot solve - if there is no problem its not your fault it cant be solved sort of thing.
NEW
velvet
UKFM Regular

Postby motherelephant » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:03 pm

Yes maybe you are right Velvet but they could still treat us with repect and understanding ,after all they are suppose to be in a caring profession.Motherelle.x :hugs:
Like sunshine in the morning, may this brighten up your day and show you that you're thought of in a warm and loving way.
motherelephant
UKFM Regular

Postby DaveD » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:39 pm

You may only be someone in the world, but to someone else, you may be the world.
DaveD
UKFM Member

Postby mitchells mum » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:46 am

although i very rarely go to the dr now cos its such a waste of my time, mine he has several patients with it so at least i know he believes

but all those years of being told blah blah blah have left their mark and i get really anxious if i really have to go

you never get over the feeling if being thought a time waster do you
judith x
mitchells mum
UKFM Member

Postby Debsatwitsend » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:29 pm

I was diagnosed about 2 years ago, after several years of tests / physio etc etc. My GP has been ace - however today I was so pleased to be going to see a consultant in rhuematology....until she told me I don't have fibro - just 'normal, every day aches and pains'. Like heck !!!! I am so confused now !!!
My GP has known me for years and spent a lot of time with me before diagnosing fibro - is it possible for someone I spoke to for 10 minutes to dismiss every thing I have been told /read with any accuracy ?
On one hand I would LOVE not to have fibro...but is it really 'normal every day aches & pains' when you can't make a cup of coffee without feeling you've run a maraton whilst carrying a double decker bus ???? So confused and frustrated now - I thought I was going to get some good help today....................
Debsatwitsend
UKFM Newbie

Postby shazq » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:57 pm

Hi Deb

I bet you are confused.
I would go back to your GP explain what this Rheumy has said.

You might be better off asking for a second opinion.

Good luck. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:57 pm

Went for my meds assessment the other day. Sat explaining about pain, symptoms etc, when GP asked if it was related to an old neck injury. When I mentioned FMS he started clicking around my records, found all relevent entries and told me there was no mention of it on the main page of my records. Nearly dropped thru floor when he started talking after he'd rearranged my records as he's familiar with it!!! What started off as the usual sort of stressed out appt turned into a good one :D Talked about the nearest support groups, unfortunately as OH works shifts and is my chauffer it means it's difficult to get to meetings etc, but also about the site and forum!!!! Even suggested making more use of the stuff on here as i told him I seem to suffer with forum shyness!!! Had a thoroguh review of meds with a bit of a tweek as the pain is getting worse. Left the surgery after my appt slot over running, being told not to worry about that, and to go back and see HIM if there is anything at all :clap: !!!! There is a little hope out there for us after all!!!!

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby shazq » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:59 pm

Hi
It does help to get a good Gp who know what they are talking about.
I also have a good Gp. :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby auroura » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:34 am

With my GP surgery i have found the older docs actually know MORE than the younger ones lol, i really would have thought it would have been the other way round. I happened to end up seeing the most popular doc by accident one day, (you know the one you have to wait 3 weeks to see :shock: ) he looked at my list of prescribed drugs, which started him off by saying he would sort through that, he asked me to list ALL my symptoms, he sent me to rheumy, where i got my diagnosis (this being despite going non stop to other docs in the same surgery for almost 2 years previously. He took my depression seriously, doing a questionnaire to find out how bad it was, he then stated all the anti depressants i had been one would not work, as i needed a different kind. He started me on cymbalta (duloxetine) for the depression as well as the sharp shooting pains i was getting throughout my body. I could have kissed his feet :oops: , it was just so nice to talk to someone who actually listened, didnt think i was mad or lying or lazy.
Sharon

Bad is never good until worse happens
auroura
UKFM Member

Postby Jenny Wren » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:37 pm

I'm new to this board, introduced myself t'other day. I'm not as yet diagnosed with FM, but have been getting increasingly concerned that it would seem to explain a lot of apparently random symptons...I was going to start a thread about my GP appt today, but this seems as good a place as any to relate my experience!

My doc is a very good GP, and does listen, but I suspect may still fall into the % of the medical profession who are sceptical about FM. I explained why I wanted to talk to him about FM, and gave him my highlighted notes from the NHS' own website page devoted to FM. He said I could take FM as a label if I wanted to, but the treatment of my existing pain would not be any different than it currently is, and that as some of the medical profession ARE sceptical it could affect future opinion towards me if it were on my records. He also warned that many people who do get a diagnosis "retreat" into their condition, blaming it for everything and developing a negative outlook.

I tried to explain that a diagnosis of one thing with one name was better from a patient's point of view, easier to deal with than a jumbled assortment of symptons. Surely it's better to think "I'm having a bad FM day" than "Oh this hurts / that hurts / my IBS is bad / I have a migraine / WHY ARE THERE SO MANY THINGS WRONG WITH ME???!!" - also makes it easier to explain to family, friends, employers...I think he got my point.

Any old how, going forward he suggested that as I'm already under a pain management clinic, I discuss this further with them, and he wouldn't put anything on my notes til he's heard from them. And the first available appt there? 8th December. Ah well, it's waited this long, it'll keep.
Jenny Wren
UKFM Member

Postby little_mima » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:47 am

I've got someone in my family who also has fibro and was told on her second rheumie appointment by a registrar that fibro doesn't exist and she was making it all up. If it is who I think it is, I'll be getting this doc at some point as well just based on the way appointments go. If that makes sense... it's late and it's a fibrofog day!
I have an amazing GP right now, but I have a lot of symptoms also related to lupus, but have only been diagnosed with fibro. I'm just a little scared that cause my joints aren't considered to be arthritic and my bloods are mainly ok, lupus is getting forgotten about and everything is thought to be caused by the fibro. I've said to her countless times since the fibro diagnosis about getting a malar rash that gets worse in the sun, but all I get told is that 'some people just get funny rashes, but make sure to wear sunblock'. It has been confirmed as a malar rash by a rheumie and the GP, so it's not as though I'm looking for something that isn't there.
It's a little frustrating, but I really wouldn't want a different GP cause she is that amazing. She understands fibro and also has this amazing ability to work with me trying to make life easier. She really is the best GP I've ever had.
little_mima
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Doctors & Health Services