[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Pets

Pets

Rib ticklers, hobbies and things to do on a rainy day!

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Pets

Postby bookworm » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:51 am

Hi all,
We have cut right down now to just two dogs and two parrots.

The dogs are both rott x gsd's, one is almost 15 the other almost 2. Both born 1st of may, just 13 years apart.
I can just about manage to walk the old girl as she is a plodder now and does not like to be out and about for too long, she also forgets what she is doing - I wonder if dogs can suffer from fibro fog!
The youngest however needs someone else to walk her for the first 20 -30 mins while she gets rid of that initial energy burst, then Ican manage her for a short period of time. She will walk all day long though and is the only dog we have ever had that likes to 'bury' most things - her burying skills leave a lot to be desired though, as she just places them on or just under something then 'pats' it down with her nose and paw :lol:
She also likes to 'share' socks. When getting undressed at night, she will pull off your socks when asked and she greets everyone with a pair of socks. Sometimes she tries to push the socks back on your feet, just so that she can take them off again - she's daft as a brush, but lovely with it :D Another of her favourite things is to 'deadhead' any flowers in the garden - just wish she would wait until they actually needed deadheading, but hey I can't complain at least she does her bit to help around the house :mrgreen:

The parrots are an african grey Hamish - he was a rescue, and we have had him now for 10 years. Sadly he has never grown his feathers back and continues to pluck even though he is well loved and looked after. He doesn;t mind looking like an escapee from bernard mathews and will shout of me then ask for a kiss, he tells everyone off, human or animal and when he gets over enthusiastic with his toys and has a slip or tumble to the bottom of his cage, all you can hear is a little voice saying' I'm alright, it's okay'

Last but not least is Solo - Solo is a Jardines Parrot. He only ever says night night and my youngest son's name and I think that has only been half a dozen times in the last 9 years. I hand reared him from a day old as his parents were terrified of him - I know why he hates me to death :yikes: He is a comical divvel though - and he can mimic any sound with such clarity that unless you are in the room with him, you can easily be fooled.

Over the years we have kept everything.................stick insects, tortoises, snakes, pygmy hedgehogs, rabbits, guinea pigs, rabbits, ducks, quail, parrakeets, finches, canaries, pond fish, tropicla fish and hamsters and mice, plus more besides.

Give me an animal any day - would love a sheep and some more quail, but I will make do with what I have for now :)
bookworm
UKFM Member

Postby Harley » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:37 am

I'm like you BW, I much prefer animals than humans although my Grandma used to have an African Grey and he hated me with a passion for some reason. I still have a scar just below my eye where he attacked me and I needed stitches.He was a lovely bird when he was in his cage. :lol:

I have 2 Staffy's, the oldest is Alfred who is 5 and the campest SBT your ever likely to meet. It makes me laugh when you see blokes walking around with a SBT thinking they are hard, the dogs are the softest thing you could ever meet and a Poodle would be more threatening than most Staffy's. Alfred is scared of the dark, the wind, the rain and my daughter used to have 2 rat's that would terrorise him to the stage where he would hide under the bed :lol: :lol: He was my mums dog originally but he came to stay with us for 3 days one christmas and never went back as he prefered living here.

Bessy who is 3 is from the SBT rescue and she is alot braver than Alfred, the only thing she doesn't like is the cold so I'm having to get her a coat for christmas to stop her whining when we go out. She is also going through a phase of "dominating" Alfred at the minuit, similar to what Lisa described her dog doing but the trouble is he enjoys it :roll:
I really don't know what I'd do without my dogs as they are your constant companions and they are never judgemental or demanding, as long as they are fed, loved and exercised they are happy.

We also have 47 guinea pigs :shock: they are my wifes hobby and she breeds and shows them and has a rare breed breeding programme going at the minuit so the numbers seem to be constantly on the up. :roll:

Apart from the tropical fish that is our lot.
Harley
UKFM Member

Postby stargrrlclaire » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:28 am

Hiya. I have 5 guinea pig named Pheobe, Ruby, Bethany, Maggie-May and Sonny and 4 gerbils called Bailie, Frank, Alex and Trevor. They really are fab and lift me up. That's my lot though, I think 9 pets between the two of us is enough now! xxx :wave: :wave: :wave:
PS It's Bethany in my signature, my snuggly little princess
Reach for the moon, if you fail, you'll fall among the stars...
Lots of love,
Claire xxx
stargrrlclaire
UKFM Member

Postby Ems » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:34 pm

hi

I have 2 girls 1 boy and a 40 nyr old husband My god they are hard work all the walking and grooming and the feeding its a nightmare !! :mrgreen:

2 dogs, colin 2 yr old rescue dog from greyhound rescue whippet collie x and our latest addition is pippa we've had her 4 wks and she is now 4mths old. i always wanted a puppy now i got one :yikes: she's a pomeranian chauaua x also known as a pomchi and she from heathlands dog rescue. what can i say i think love is in the house the pair of them run round like looneys ! lol

we use to foster for greyhound rescue and have owned our own greyhounds they are beautiful dogs and recommend them to anyone.
Emma
:hugs:

Yes please i'll have diet coke with mine ;)
Ems
UKFM Member

Postby red dragon » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:54 pm

:wave: I have two dogs,a 7yr old border collie ,tess and a 10yr old jack russel cross staffy kess[we foster her ] we also have a rabbit , guinea pig named funny bunny and squiggles,i know but the kids named em so whot can you do,plus a hamster ,would like more dogs but only allowed 2 were we live .my dogs are great when i need to knap as they curl up on the sofa with me and keep me nice and warm. :D
red dragon
UKFM Member

Postby ladymanvers » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:28 pm

Tip: Super Nanny and Dog Whisperer techniques work on my hubby :lol:

I have a fat, black, putrid, old, gorgeous labrador who is the widow of my cross mountain dog/alsation/golden retriever Hector who was soooo intelligent and died suddenly from a ruptured splenic tumour.

I now have an earless white cat, Stewy, named after the hoity-toity baby in Family Guy because that's his character! (He had to have his ears removed not long after he came to us from The Cat's Protection league as he had squamous cell carcinoma due to sunburn).

He bullies the dog and nips her a*se when he wants her to move away from the fire so he can sit there!

That's my three...

Ju.xxx :wave:
ladymanvers
UKFM Member

Postby princess » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:35 pm

I have Greta she was kicked around a garden in a bag by kids, then father took them to river and dumped her.
A lday walking by heard her meeeaawww and managed to hook the bag out of the Firth - she was taken to SSPCA (broken legs and cat flu and about l year old).
My daughter in law took her, but cat was too scared so now i have her.
After 4 years she is just adorable and now sociable and will go to vets on a lead - she is a lovely girl i am so glad i too k her in - she is happy and content now.
The vet rekons she is about 13 but we are not sure.
princess
Attachments
DSC00027.JPG
DSC00027.JPG (42.7 KiB) Viewed 2467 times
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby princess » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:36 pm

Here she is today!!!!
Attachments
31-05-08_152340.jpg
31-05-08_152340.jpg (39.73 KiB) Viewed 2474 times
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby stargrrlclaire » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:02 pm

Reach for the moon, if you fail, you'll fall among the stars...
Lots of love,
Claire xxx
stargrrlclaire
UKFM Member

Postby Miss sleepy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:13 pm

Well if you insist ....

Here's Obi... my 3 month old Lhasapoo (Lhasa Apso x Poodle) you just cant imagine how cute he is. His little ears flap when he runs or jumps down the stairs, he covers his face with his paws when you tell him off and he spends nearly his whole life asleep lazy bagger, makes a great foot warmer however
Attachments
10956_217272156812_592081812_3677479_71015_n.jpg
10956_217272156812_592081812_3677479_71015_n.jpg (37.69 KiB) Viewed 2461 times
20743_240578866812_592081812_3804081_8050484_n.jpg
20743_240578866812_592081812_3804081_8050484_n.jpg (46.24 KiB) Viewed 2456 times
Never judge a day by the weather.
The best things in life aren't things.
Speak softly and wear a loud shirt.
Goals are deceptive - the unaimed arrow never misses.
Beauty is internal - looks mean nothing.
No rain - no rainbows.
Miss sleepy
UKFM Member

Postby rosie66 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:00 pm

awwwwwwwwww miss sleepy, he is absolutly gorgous, give him a big kiss and cuddle :hugs: from me,as you guessed i am a dog lover,have 2 of my own,but i could make room for another one....YOURS :lol:
rosie66
UKFM Regular

Postby princess » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:04 pm

I jut love all animals - and i thank you all for being good owners and friends to all the animals in your home.
After having a therapy dog for many years, i wondered if i could use Greta, but although she i snow sociable and a very happy wee girl - she spooks too easily so she wouldnt be any good, shame as she is lovely.
I am so glad i got the chance to help here love again.
By the way my daughter in law wants her back, always dropping hints, now that she is sorted out so to speak, so i have had to put my foot down and told her NO WAy!!!! She dosent have another home next time she goes out (she is scared to go out past the back door as new cat over the wall) its to be buried, she is mine now i have the papers - after all she was going to destroy her!!!!!
princess
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby AngelBear » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:40 pm

I have laying hens. They live in their henhouse and free range my backgarden during the day and give me daily eggs.

A smile lifts both you and others
Christine
AngelBear
UKFM Member

Postby tishytash » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:16 pm

i thought people would like to see some 3 day old baby hamsters! i have vast numbers of hamsters they keep me going. these babies are my little zaphod's grandkids this is zaphod
and his grandkids! i did not distrub the nest to take these photos and the mum lamuella was stuffing her face with chicken!
tishytash
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:26 pm

Awww,reminds me of my mouse pups... we got some mice from the RSPCA and one was pregnant... she had a shed load of babies ??? 14 of the little wrigglers, we ended up taking more back than we got and I managed to rehome 5.

Obi is absolutely gorgeous :D

Sadly it looks like my boxer Benson is on his last legs :cry: He was a cruelty case, just a puppy but starved and shut in a shed with a concrete floor.. some idiot thought she could make money but wasn't prepared to look after them or the mum :evil: He had a couple of minutes on Pet Rescue although his brother got all the limelight as he was the last to be rehomed. When we got him he was all head and ribs but grew up to be a gorgeous boy, although small for a boxer. Now he's 10 and having fits, he's losing his balance all the time too. Off t the vets tomorrow and I'm dreading it :cry:
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Positive and Fun