Prof Davies.

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Prof Davies.

Postby LuvCats » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:21 pm

Yes you don't need a gp referal if you're going private.
I'm going to see the Prof' on friday.
You also get reduced fees if you're on any benefits. :D
LuvCats
UKFM Member

Postby fluffyhelen9999 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:11 pm

does anyone know what benefits they ask for for the reduced fee's?? We get working tax credit / child tax credit?? but no others.

Also, how quickly do you normally get private appointments?? Im not bothering trying until the new year.
thanks
fluffyhelen9999
UKFM Newbie

Postby LuvCats » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:22 pm

Hi I could've got a private appointment witin a week if I wanted it.
I get DLA, ESA and industrial injuries benefit and I qualify for the reduced fees.
It's best you ring and enquire but I was told that "any benefits", not just means tested would qualify you for the reduced fees. :tongueout:
LuvCats
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:15 am

It usually means if you're on benefits because you're not working or are disabled by your Fibro, but you could ask.
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby kerrie » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:30 pm

I see Prof Davies on Monday and had the myers injections at the moment they have really helped me I feel like my head is clear and not so spaced out, worth every penny I would say at the moment, jsut hope it lasts!
kerrie
UKFM Member

Postby LuvCats » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:09 pm

I saw Prof' Davies today and had my second lot of myers injections and some alterations to my meds.
Due to go again in two weeks time.
Since having had the first lot of injections in mid Dec I do have more energy and clearness of mind.
I was getting so forgetful it was frightening but that seems to have improved a lot... :D
LuvCats
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:00 pm

It's great hat you're both getting somewhere. Learning to manage Fibro is a long and often tough journey and it helps to have a doc on your side with some good ideas! :)
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby tireesix » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:49 am

What is the reduced cost fee?

What sort of medications would he prescribe for fibro other than the trigger point injections, myers cocktail etc?

I mean, for some one like me who reacts to the anti depressants and anti convulsants, what other things would he suggest? Has anyone had him suggest buprenorphine, morphine, tizanidine (and other muscle relaxants) benzos, sleeping tablets, vitamin tablets, tramadol, codeine? I mean, what can he offer me?

I want to go, I want to know what kinda things he offers etc so I can work out whether its worth it.

I don't mind if you pm me with more details. I am really struggling with my GP and rheumy at the moment, to the point where I am breaking down before I even get into their offices. They won't even attempt to trial me on other stuff and the pain is so bad at the moment, never mind the fatigue. I am literally desperate (to the point of having considered illegal drugs to help through some of it).

I have a GP appointment on Friday this week. It is literally a 'you sort something out or I am quitting this surgery while handing in a letter of complaint' kinda situation.
Katie X
tireesix
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:59 am

Last time I went, the reduced fees were £90 for initial appointment and £75 for follow-up - extremely inexpensive for private. You can email his clinic manager for up-to-date info.

As to meds, Prof Davies will utilise any meds that are evidence based. Most patients have him write to their GPs to get NHS prescriptions - it might be worth asking your GP if they would be willing to do this. Otherwise you would have to pay for private prescriptions and while a few meds are as cheap or cheaper than the prescription charge, most are more expensive.

One thing is that Prof Davies is used to dealing with patients who have become overly sensitised to medications, even to the point of allergic reactions. So he's accustomed to having to start out with just Myers injections (which are usually well tolerated) and tiny doses of basic drugs. Some patients appreciate that - and the Myers - but it does mean that you can't move fast on trying the stronger drugs. And the Myers have to paid for privately as they are not available on the NHS.

Prof Davies also doesn't have a physio that works with him, partly because people come from all over to see him and it's best to do physio, hydrotherapy, etc locally. But that means that you would have to sort out that side of things yourself.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby tireesix » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:16 am

Not sure I can afford it........... But if I saw him privately I could see him in Bristol, right? I mean, even on the NHS, if I had to travel to London, there is travel, I would probably have to stay a night as well.

if I can get enough info, then I might just go in to my GP and say 'I want a referral to Prof Davies' give her reasons and then, maybe, just maybe, she might actually go through the meds again with me rather than sending me off to London.
Katie X
tireesix
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:28 am

Yep, privately you can see him in Bristol. If you're going private without insurance, you don't need a GP referral.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby tireesix » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:04 pm

Saw my GP today for a referral to the fibro clinic, I gave her info, she didn't read it and said she has to write to my PCT first to see if they will allow me to go, is this right?
Katie X
tireesix
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:43 pm

It's possible that the PCT won't allow out of area referrals without pre-authorisation. The Guys Clinic is on Choose and Book though (if your GP can find it!) which should help.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby tireesix » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:20 pm

Unfortunately my GP is being a PITA.

Ok, maybe I am being unfair, but she does seem to making it difficult and wouldn't even look and the choose and book.

I am feeling somewhat :banghead:
Katie X
tireesix
UKFM Member

Postby sultan60 » Wed May 19, 2010 5:51 pm

Hi all ,
I was diagnosed with fibro nov 09 and have been managing the condition myself,i have always thought that i ave M.E as well, after reading an article relating to pesticide exposure? i then went back to my new doctor with my suspicions and asked could i be refered to Guys to see if i can see prof Davies, i waited 7 months. I was really ill traveling down staying overnight in accomodation in the hospital, and spending over £200 in travel expenses from Wigan.
What a real let down Prof Davies was i had ten minuites consultation, and was told M.E. is hard to prove ?????????
He will treat patients privately with myers cocktail injections, what a sympethetic doctor he is ???? you have to pay private for these.
Anyone wishing to see him dont bother save you money and energy ,hes a waste of time :(
sultan60
UKFM Newbie

PreviousNext

Return to Doctors & Health Services