Chronic Myofascial Pain

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Chronic Myofascial Pain

Postby gillian77 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:49 pm

Hi. I'm new and I apologise if this has been covered somewhere else but I have a couple of questions. I'll try to keep a long story as short as possible.

My physio, pilates instructor and I think it's likely that I've got chronic myofascial pain. I have a long history of back pain and had fusion surgery of the L5/S1 a few years back, which was a big help (it got me back to work part time) but pain is still having a big impact on my life. Unfortunately, having had a clean MRI, the doctors seem inclined to leave it at 'unspecific chronic back pain'. I don't really feel that's good enough. There could be more I could be doing if I was sure what's going on and I could also be taking unnecessary risks of making matters worse if I don't know what's going on.

I've been warned that I'll be lucky to find anyone who's prepared to do anything more than treat the unspecified pain but I noticed that Prof John Davies seems to be highly rated by people with Fibro. My problems are localised (even if that does seem an understatement when so much of my back is involved!), rather than generalised so it doesn't seem likely that my problem is Fibro. I've talked about it with people with Fibro and ME and they agree it's unlikely that I have either of them.

My questions:-
does Prof Davies help if it's Chronic Myofascial Pain without Fibro or ME?
does anyone else have Chronic Myofasical Pain and, if so, do you have problems with muscle weakness without any obvious injury?

Thanks for your help :)
gillian77
UKFM Newbie

Re: Chronic Myofascial Pain

Postby *Lisa* » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:55 pm

I dont rate him highly and i know of many other who feel the same to so please dont get your hopes up but saying that i dont dislike the man as he has managed to help many sufferes....

As far as im aware he just treats FM but being a rhuematologist i gather he can also take your other conditions into perspective and all 3 tend to be linked anyway....

I hope you get the help you need :hugs:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby gillian77 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:28 pm

Thanks Lisa

I notice you're in Herts. I am too. Do you recommend anyone more local?
gillian77
UKFM Newbie

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:18 am

Im afraid i cant :( Iv seen my local top consultants and im afraid i cant recommend them at all :dunno:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby LinzWorld » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:36 pm

Just he's trained/experienced in myofascial pain. So if you'd like to try trigger point injections or medications to help the CMP, then he might be able to help. But that's on the private side btw.

He does link up a bit with some physios and myofascial release therapists - mine among them. You may find that finding a good physical therapist is the best way forward for you.
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Return to Doctors & Health Services