itchy ears

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

itchy ears

Postby smiler22 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:44 am

can i ask if anyone else gets this. i suffer daily and through the night really itchy ears. i bath them daily with warmr water to stop the irritation and hav eto keep putting either a cue tip or my finger just inside the lobe and ear canal to give a gentle itch. i know that youre gonna sya dont do this but when it itches that much it really itches and i have to d o something. i have tried the olive oil in th epast but this doesnt help. i do belivee it is the nerves though an dcause by some o f my medication. but there is no alternative of those. ????
live life to the full as life is what you make itxx
smiler22
UKFM Regular

Re: itchy ears

Postby deborah123 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:59 am

hi smiler i was told by my doctor to put almond oil in mine when they get ichy inside.drives me potty at times.
deborah123
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:22 am

I get eczema in my ears... the worst thing you can do is put water down as that will make it worse.. Try putting E45 down using your finger tip. It's not recommended you use a cuetip down as the end could come off in there... also you could puncture your eardrum with it. Another thing you could try is warm olive oil.

If you see your gp you can get drops which will clear it up for a while.
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby budda » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:08 am

I also have eczema in my ears, went to see doc in hospital, no water, if your ears get wet let them dry themself, if they get itchy, then rub on the front of your face below your ear, or at the back of the ear, do not put your finger inside your ear, :nono: doc gave me gentisone HC ear drops, it works for me.
budda
UKFM Regular

Postby smiler22 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:30 pm

i dont actually put the cue tip in to my ear that far that i would damage the ear drum. and i alsways just put it on the inside but towards the outer part./ so it doesnt go right in. so i would nt lose the cue tip anyway. as for the gp for drops i asked for them but all he suggested was the olive oil but that just made them squelch so i could hear that well and made me feel wet lugged all th etime.
i hav etried the method of putting the lobe against you face etc like you hav esuggested but that doesnt work and i have even tried not putting my finger in my ear etc.
as for the water i only use a dmapish cloth just to rubinthe ear. not right in side.

so im still stuck i dont know what to do. last tnight they really drove me crackers to the point i didnt touch them but they hurt so much with the itch.
live life to the full as life is what you make itxx
smiler22
UKFM Regular

Postby gillshutt » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:12 am

I would try the E45 but keep any water away from it... and try another gp :evil: Saying that the drops... similar to eye drops only last for a while once you've opened them so I found them a waste of time.
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby budda » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:32 pm

Doc in hospital, told me to get a small bit of cotton ball, put vaseline on the pan of my hand and cover cotton ball with it, this is what i do when washing hair or having a shower, its a bit messy, but it works for me.
budda
UKFM Regular

Postby pixiecat » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:35 pm

Hi Smiler
I too get itchy ears and it drives me mad I wake up in the middle of the night scatching them in my sleep!!
My doctor gave me drops but after a while it came back - in fact while typing here they are a little itchy and
very tempting to just scratch, but as its just inside your ear its hard to get to the itch not like if it was your arm.
It does drive you mad along with all other aches and pains.

Lorraine
pixiecat

Postby angeladurkin » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:44 pm

my ears get so itchy i could rip them off .i too have to insert a qtip just for a second to help i also put e45 on the tip .i had no idea this was related to fm wich ive had for a year about the same time i went to docs for ichty ears ,has any body had any problems with nails ? my toe nails are a disgrase all white and breaking ,wonder if thats fm too?
angeladurkin
UKFM Newbie

Postby swampiesue » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:12 pm

Oh god yes... had it for a few years now, had loads of outer ear infections through itching them... with the arm of my glasses lol Slap wrists from GP......now I use my gold cross... it is so embarrassing sometime they drive me nuts...I also get a very dry itchy scalp and back of neck..
swampiesue
UKFM Member

Postby budda » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:28 am

Hi, i get itching of the outer ears too, GP gave me Gentisone ear drops, it treats the infection and the eczema, try not get your ears wet, told to put a small amount of vaseline on the palm of my hand and roll a very little cotton wool into the vaseline, and then put this into the ear,never put your fingers into your ears, rub on the outside of the ear lower down, or rub the back if they get itchy, never dry your ears if they get wet, apply the vaseline and cotton wool when showering, hope this helps you, it workes for me. :hugs:
budda
UKFM Regular

Postby bluecath » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:08 pm

I have itchy ears -was told it was eczema- have had hydrocortisone drops and cream which helps temporarily. advised not to get ears wet or scratch- easy for them to say- its not them with the itch!!!!!!
My grandads advice was "you should not put anything smaller than your elbow down your ear!!!!!" :nono:
bluecath
UKFM Member

Postby budda » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:08 pm

I think your grandad is right bluecath :lol:
budda
UKFM Regular

Postby swampiesue » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:11 am

OMG.... have a shocking ear infection.... lesson learned DON'T put anything in your ears... Went to GP Monday with slight watery discharge. was told had an outer ear infection and had also scratched my ear drum... given drops which seemed to make ears worse.. Plus woke up with sore throat and extremely painful swollen ear. Back to GP was told now my ear drum is bleeding and have middle ear infection. given antibiotics as well....and told to continue with drops... Ears seem to be getting worse and have a a rotten cold, that I think I must have picked up at GPs on the MONDAY....Trouble is the drops seem to be not working and I feel as miserable as sin..... NEVER again will I put my cross or anything in my ears again.....

Hold me to that everyone :( :( :(
swampiesue
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:08 am

Check the drops - I was given some for a bad ear infection a few months back and then my ear-drum perforated (if pus starts coming out, that's a perforation). The drops were agony, but then I realised the leaflet said don't use if you have a perforated ear-drum! They'd been making it worse by irritating the ear-drum.
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Next

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems